The Maternal and Infant Health Care Strategies Unit, based at the University of Pretoria (within the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology), researches solutions to the problems that women face when dealing with health systems for maternal and infant care. The Unit’s aim is to improve the quality of life of South African mothers and their babies.
Key focus areas
- Developing audit systems to identify problems;
- Researching solutions to issues in maternal and infant health systems which have been accepted and tolerated by women, healthcare workers and health administrators;
- Working with the SAMRC’s Cochrane network to review relevant studies;
- Conducting clinical research;
- Developing and implementing health strategies and solutions for mothers and infants; and
- Testing the impact of strategies once they have been applied.