Research Integrity & Responsible Conduct of Research
- Collaborative Research Policy
- Research Ethics Policy
- The South African Medical Research Council Guidelines on the Responsible Conduct of Research
- Form for Reporting Alleged Breach of Research Norms and Standards or Research Misconduct
(Please contact Seeiso Koali if you encounter any problems in completing the online form)
- Belmont Report
- Clinical research in resource-limited settings
- Helsinki Declaration
- Singapore Statement on Research Integrity
- Montreal Statement on Research Integrity in Cross-Boundary Research Collaborations
- Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights
Research using animals
- Animal Disease Act No. 35 of 1984.
- Animal Health Act, 2002 (Act No. 7 of 2002)
- Animals Protection Act No. 71 of 1962.
- Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
- Medicines and Related Substances Control Act 101 of 1965.
- PREPARE guidelines
- The ARRIVE Guidelines
- ECRA Invasiveness Categories
- The Provincial Nature Conservation Ordinance.
- Veterinary and Para-Veterinary Professions Act No. 19 of 1982 (amended 1993)
Department of Health
- Material Transfer of Human Biological Materials (National Health Act, 2003 - Act No. 61 of 2003)
- Ethics in health research: principles, processes and structures, second edition, 2015
- South African Good Clinical Practice: Clinical Trial Guidelines, Third Edition 2020. Department of Health, Pretoria, South Africa
- Community and public engagement
- The Minister of Health has delegated powers to consent for research or experimentation to be conducted with a minor for a non-therapeutic purpose as prescribed by the National Health Act, to health research ethics committees registered with the NHREC. This was done on condition that the Ethics Committee concerned complies with Section 73 of the National Health Act by being registered with the National Health Research Ethics Council (NHREC), and adheres to the norms and standards of research ethics guidelines as advocated by the NHREC. Letter of delegation to the MRC Ethics Committee.
- Regulation Gazette No 38000, 19 September 2014, Vol 591 No 10268
South African Medical Research Council
|Guideline booklets - The five guideline booklets below were produced between 2002-2004 by the SAMRC. These booklets are outdated and should only be consulted as background information.|
They will not be revised in view of the fact that the National Health Research Ethics Council of the Department of Health has produced research guidelines for the country as listed below.