The SAMRC’s Biostatistics Unit (BU) provides a source of biostatistics expertise and support to the organization’s network of medical and health researchers as well as government departments and national and international research bodies. It is an interdisciplinary unit with expertise in Biostatistics, GIS, Data Management and Food Science.
Key focus areas
- Development of generic, innovative and rigorous statistical methodology to improve the design and analysis of health studies
- Providing biostatistical leadership and expertise in collaborative health and medical related research projects
- Production and usage of health-related maps
- Development of dietary intake research tools and the National food database
- Ensuring that a high standard of data quality is achieved in all studies through rigorous data management
- Providing relevant biostatistical knowledge and support to inform local, national and international public health policy through service on projects and review boards.
- Building biostatistics capacity through postgraduate supervision and specialized training in South Africa and in the region.