University of Cape Town Collaborating Centre for Optimising Antimalarial Therapy in South Africa
The Collaborating Centre for Optimising Antimalarial Therapy (CCOAT), based at the University of Cape Town, focuses on research programmes that strengthen antimalarial therapies.
Key focus areas
- Run both field- and hospital-based research;
- Play a role in eliminating malaria nationally, regionally and globally;
- Inform antimalarial treatment policy and practice (drug resistance, selection and use);
- Develop the next generation of antimalarial researchers; and
- Manage research programmes from the drug discovery stage, through to Phase 1 clinical trials and the safe and effective use of antimalarial drugs by those infected.