Exploring approaches to prevent cardiometabolic disease
The overall purpose of the Non-Communicable Diseases Research Unit (NCDRU) is to formulate and apply an integrated programme of research and capacity development to improve the understanding, detection, prevention and management of non-communicable diseases (NCDs), with a major initial focus on cardiovascular and metabolic disorders in South Africa.
Key focus areas
- Foster greater understanding of the burden, mechanisms and determinants of NCDs
- Develop, apply and evaluate interventions for the detection, prevention and management of NCDs
- Address conditions and challenges that are unique to the South African environment
- Develop and adopt new health technological approaches to NCDs
- Translate new and existing knowledge into policy and practice, and
- Develop research capacity and interdisciplinary collaboration and maximize the output of existing research efforts.